I’ve read (and re-read) a few books lately about food: In Defense of Food, Fastso and the Skinny Bitch. I liked the first two but the Skinny Bitches were too mean and extreme for me â€” I won’t be a vegan anytime soon.
But I did type up some points I gleaned from all three books. Next I plan to devise a mnemonic to memorize them…
- I am not on a diet. I am just trying to eat better.
- Think before you eat something. Think about why you want it and if you actually feel hungry.
- If you make a bad choice, it’s okay â€” life is short â€” just try to make a better choice next time.
- When eating out try to split meals or else have a smaller appetizer as a main course.
- Don’t torture yourself with negative thoughts about food â€” it’s just about taking one day at a time and making more good choices than bad ones.
- We’re not perfect and sometimes a treat is nice â€”we must accept this, otherwise life will be boring.
- Eat real food not fake food.
- Don’t eat too much and eat lots of plants.
- Eat food your great-grandmother would recognize â€” and that includes things like butter. The fake butter products are the ones to avoid.
- Avoid junk/processed food/drink. Read the ingredients. Avoid chemicals not delicious foods.
- Eat at the table not in the car.
- Love yourself!