A few days ago a friend asked me if I was really as happy as I seemed.
I am â€” I think.
But not because was born this way â€” although I do think genetics have something to do with it â€” but rather becuase I choose to be happy.
I also like to tell people I care about that I am fond of them.
These two traits are related. We all know â€” especially as we grow older â€” that life is short. But I know it can be damn short.
Both my mother and my sister died too young. If all continues to go well, I won’t. My mother was only ten years older than I am now when she died â€” my sister didn’t live to see thirty. Yeah, that’s sad. It’s sad when anyone goes too soon.
But it is more sad â€” at least to me â€” to be here and to suffer â€” or worse, to make others suffer with you. Life is not always fun, and heaven knows I can be a bitch, but I’d rather be happy and share that happiness.
My 5 rules:
- Tell people you are fond of how you feel. Yeah, it’s weird but so what? Who doesn’t want to know you care about them.
- Pick a job that you enjoy. Chose to work with people you like â€” or at least can stand. If you are miserable, look for a new job.
- Be open to warm teasing â€” it goes both ways and it feels nice. If it doesn’t: stop.
- Wear what makes you happy. Pick a job that allows that. (Suits are needed sometimes and yeah I have a few but if I had to wear one everyday…see #2.)
- Gravy â€” and all other delights â€” are to be enjoyed in moderation.